Saturday 31 December 2016

New Year and not making resolutions

I'm really not one for making resolutions. I don't know why. Maybe something to do with my lack of interest in following something that so many people do, rather than finding my own way - I can be a tad perverse in that way! Accordingly, Dragon Dad and I had a very low key evening last night, and drank some excellent aged grenache with our home made pizza while watching DVD, before tucking ourselves into bed well before midnight, without making a single resolution! 

However, it IS a good time to reflect and consider the year ahead - how I might choose to approach it; things to shrug off, things to change, things to rethink, things to create, etc. So, in an extremely lazy fashion, I am doing a bit of that. One thing I find that I do - or rather, don't do - which is a cause for much self castigation is to not draw every day. 

I had a lecturer in art school with whom I really connected. Tragically, for his family, myself and so many others, he died suddenly before I finished my degree, and before we reached what was my final unit of life drawing. But he left me with many things. My sense of play with media, and not getting bogged down by how one 'should' approach different materials. The need to challenge myself when I draw - think around possible constraints, to make the most of a page, push past what could be considered the limitations of particular materials and/or circumstances. To remember that drawing isn't so much about what's in your hand as what you see, and remembering to really look at things - see the shapes, the light, the colours, the textures... That it should be fun! And most importantly, that it should be a daily activity. 

I was lucky enough to have him as my teacher in a range of different studio areas, including one where on the first day, he presented us all with a brand new hard cover drawing journal. The subject itself was media studies, but the journal was intended not so much as a record of class activities as a tool to help create an actual practice. He informed us that he wanted to see something on the pages that showed that we drew something EVERY DAY. He didn't care what it was - it could be as simple as mucking around with some new chalks, pencils, or other drawing materials. What was important was that we did it every day. To that end, ever since, I've carried a tiny A6 sketchbook in whatever constituted my regular handbag. And a mix of felt tip pens and pencils that roll around in the bottom of the bag along with the spare change, old receipts, tissues, and other bits and pieces. Every time I dig in the bag for something I see it, and hear Bruce saying we must draw every day. But I don't. Because, life. And the every day excuses we all make for not doing things. 

So, I've made a commitment to do a daily photo challenge activity that's hosted by blogger Fat Mum Slim. I figure, it's a daily prompt that will make me think creatively about what I can do with the limitations of an iPhone camera - that being my only digital camera. And I'm thinking that alongside the photos, I can make a drawing each day. I won't be posting them all here on the blog, but if you care to hop over to The Original Dragon Mother Facebook page, I'll post the daily photos there. And I'll post the drawings on my Facebook art page. So, if you're interested in following along, they're the places to be. 

For me, this stuff is about self discipline - which is something I find all too easy to let go. And that's just me being lazy. Lazy leads to letting far too many important things go - things that can make daily life much more interesting, challenging and, ultimately, fulfilling. And I have no excuse, really. I don't work for anyone any more. The paid work I do do is freelance, so it's on my own time. Ergo, I have more than enough opportunity to look at how I spend the rest of my time and find ways to be so much more productive - which will make for a much happier and more satisfied me. And give me much more to think and talk about with Dragon Dad at the end of the day - rather than just my online stuff! 

So, I've started the Photo a Day Challenge with today's prompt, which is 'my fave colour' and because I'm kicking it off in conjunction with this post, I'll pop in in here - because I can! From tomorrow on though, go check out my art page for what's to come.
 

6 comments:

  1. I took a picture of cabbage today. It is our new year tradition, it denotes prosperity. We have no idea why cabbage means prosperity but it has worked for 58 years of my life and 39 years of marriage. Hey we don't like to give up on success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cabbage for prosperity...?! How very odd! But hey, if it works, don't mess with it!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way. I don't tend to make resolutions. I feel like I'm constantly trying to tweak parts of my daily life already. But I do like having guidelines for my life that allow me to make new habits. The photo challenge is a good idea. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I'm already lusting after a DSLR!!!
      For me, the whole resolution thing seems to be a set up for failure. That, and very much a herd activity - and those, I'm very resistant to...! As Lene says in her comment below, goals, yes, and the ongoing tweaking you both mention. Hoping, each year, to do things better than the last.

      Delete
  3. I don't so much make resolutions — because I know I'll break them immediately — but think about goals. Things I wasn't entirely satisfied within the past year and finding ways of tweaking those. Often these are the same issues year after year. :) Thanks for the tip on the daily photo — I'm participating on my Facebook page, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! And yes, mostly the same issues - which is, after all, about doing the work of living, nu?
      I want a proper camera!!! For all my lofty noises about working within constraints, I want something I can fiddle with, and that has more flexibility. Meh...I have my phone, and no other digital option, so it will have to do.

      Delete